Chris Congeni spends his time solving problems for his clients. He was born and raised in the Cleveland area and has spent more than a decade of his career with a large regional firm developing a national healthcare, employment, and business litigation practice.
Clients appreciate Chris’s ability to provide solutions that often involve unique areas of the law. He is sought by those who seek outside-the-box counsel and not costly and lengthy lawsuits. However, Chris is no stranger to contentious litigation. He has used his litigation management and organizational skills to assist many multi-district litigation clients with complex litigations across the country and has a primary focus on the client and partnering together to meet their specific needs. When much is on the line, Chris’s calm demeanor is a benefit to his many clients as he guides them through complex litigation matters, as well as administrative processes.
Chris has successfully represented clients in the healthcare industry and regional business community. Some of these engagements and litigation matters include:
- August 2023 — Chris was retained by a large diagnostic laboratory that services Ohio and Pennsylvania to serve as their exclusive outside general counsel.
- February 2023 — Retained by mid-sized central Ohio company to litigate a consequential unfair competition/interference claim against a larger competing company. Chris successfully obtained an injunction in State Court enjoining this competitive company from continuing to compete in this illegal fashion.
- May 2022 – Engaged to serve as outside general counsel for a global risk management consulting group with more than 20,000 employees worldwide.
- February 2022 – Chris was engaged to prosecute a multimillion dollar misappropriation of trade secrets claim in the Northern District of Ohio on behalf of a corporate client against an infringing and competing company.
- February 2022 – Chris has and continues to represent multiple national clients in various federal court jurisdictions defending allegations of violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). Recently, Chris attained a complete dismissal of a TCPA class action due to lack of the standing of the potential plaintiffs. This finding likely saved this multi-district client significant exposure.
- January 2022 – Currently represents numerous medical physicians and providers before Ohio Medical Board and other Ohio Administrative Agencies.
- In December 2021, Chris was engaged to serve as outside general counsel for one of the area’s largest gastrointestinal physician groups.
- Chris has and does represent numerous large health systems and physician groups in contentious litigation related to provider privileges and medical staff employment events.
- November 2021 – Obtained an injunction against large private school on behalf of a previously dismissed student mandating re-enrollment. Kaitlyn Kucher v. Western Reserve Academy CV-2021-10-3464
- Through court intervention, Chris prevailed in the successful resolution of a 500 million dollar international business divorce (Feb. 2020)
- Yogen Saunthararajah v. Santhosh Vadivelu, et al., Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas, Case No. CV-18-898044 (represented the plaintiff-physician in a complex lawsuit involving claims of fraud, breach of contract, patent infringement and injunctive relief over plaintiff’s ownership of the company in dispute and his control of incredibly valuable intellectual property rights in the biotechnology field, resulting in favorable settlement for client)
- James F. O’Donnell vs. Northeast Ohio Neighborhood Health Services, Inc., Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas CV-17-881337 (was lead counsel and successfully obtained a 7 figure jury award in a Plaintiff Age Discrimination case)
- W. 6 Restaurant Group Ltd., et al., v. Bengtson et al. (Lead Counsel in Plaintiff’s defamation and slander case filed in Federal Court resulting in a substantial award to the Plaintiff)
- Successfully obtained a dismissal of an Americans with Disabilities Act lawsuit filed against Tanger Factory Outlet Center, Inc. in the U.S. District Court for the West District of Michigan. Saar v. Tanger Factory Outlet Centers, Inc., W.D. Mich. No. 1:17-cv-41, 2018 WL 387962 (Jan. 12, 2018)
- Mannion v. Lake Hospital System, Inc., et al., Lake County Court of Common Pleas No. 14CV001952 (Feb. 6, 2018) (after a five-day jury trial, obtained directed verdict on Plaintiff’s claim for age discrimination as well as dismissal of plaintiff’s amended complaint with prejudice as an inherent-authority sanction for plaintiff’s counsel’s conduct during trial)
- Lead counsel on $40M antitrust involving large insurer and numerous hospital systems
- Immormino, et al. v. Lake Hospital System, Inc., N.D. Ohio Case No. 1:13-cv-1818-CAB (successfully defended two Plaintiff Age Discrimination (State and Federal claims) in federal court. All state and federal age claims, including disparate treatment claims, dismissed with prejudice by federal court judge.) (August 2015)
- McClusky v. Lake Hospital System, Inc., No. 1:14-cv-00519-KSM, U.S. District Court, N.D. Ohio (successfully defended Lake Health System in a retaliation/gender discrimination claim. The three day jury trial was heard in the Northern District of Ohio, Eastern Division)(Attys’ Fees Sanctions Denied in Hospital Retaliation Row)
- Porter v. Lake Hospital System, Inc., Case No. 2013 CV 00067 (successfully defended Lake Hospital System to a jury concerning numerous allegations by a former clinician. HIPPA issues interacting with issues involving the former employee’s termination were the center of this jury trial)
- Ron Satija v. Permanent General Assurance Corporation of Ohio, et al., Case No. 1:13-cv-00082 (N.D. Ohio 2014) (retained as special counsel to bankruptcy trustee in copyright infringement lawsuit involving “the General” cartoon character resulting in a positive result for the client)
- Permanent General Assurance Corporation of Ohio v. David Mowder, Case No. 3:12-cv-5018 (N.D. Tex. 2013) (successful defense of client in declaratory judgment suit regarding parties’ intellectual property rights)
- Plastic Process Equipment, Inc. v. IMS Company, et al., Case No. 1:12-cv-338 (N.D. Ohio 2014) (resolved trademark infringement, unfair competition, and related claims resulting in favorable settlement for client). Attention to patent infringement related issues
- IMS Company v. Plastic Process Equipment, Inc., Cancellation No. 92/056,625 (TTAB 2014) (successfully obtained dismissal of cancellation proceeding challenging client’s federal trademark)
- OIG/DOJ investigation and defense of physicians involving Robinson Memorial Health System fraud and abuse complaint
Chris is active in civic organizations throughout the community, including serving as a Pathway to Independence (PTI) board member, a member of the Akron Young Professionals Association, the Akron Bar Association Mentor Program, the Italian American Professional Business Club, and the Cleveland-Marshall College of Law Mentor Program (Health Law). Chris has also been a Cleveland Judicial Forum Invitee, and an OSBA Corporate Counsel Participant.
When not litigating, Chris enjoys spending time with his wife and three young children.
Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D.
Ohio University, B.S., Communications
State Bars of Ohio and Kentucky
“Sexual Harassment Investigation Training,” NCH Healthcare System (June 2021) — Training to more than 500 medical professionals.
“Unions in the Healthcare Industry: How to Legally Address Unionization in the Healthcare Industry, and What Are an Employer’s Rights and Recourses” (February 2021)
Sexual Harassment Training presentation for multiple healthcare providers, including local FQHC’s and regional health systems (November 2017 – February 2018)— Training to more than 500 medical professionals.
“FMLA Rule Change Takes Effect March 27th,” Akron Legal News March 2015 issue (A 031015 Complete)
Presentation to PAHCOM Health members regarding important employment concerns for employers in health facilities (July 2010)
Presentation to the Ohio Nursing Association on protecting your IP and reputation (2012)